A merry mocktail for the holidays
Monday Dec 10th, 2018
Sangria is often relegated to summertime patios, but this make-ahead pitcher drink is equally perfect for winter entertaining. Sweet-tart pomegranate juice and warm winter spices add festive flavour, and de-alcoholized red wine makes this a great non-alcoholic option.
“Spruce up this mocktail with sprigs of basil or fresh mint for an extra pop of colour and freshness,” suggests Michelle Pennock, executive chef for the President’s Choice Test Kitchen. “These small touches add bright tasting notes that get your guests’ senses tingling and set the stage for your event.”
Non-Alcoholic Spiced Sangria
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cool time: 2 hours
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each ground allspice and ground cloves
- Pinch (0.5 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1 navel orange (peel on), thinly sliced into rounds
- Half lemon (peel on), thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 bottle (750 mL) PC Red De-Alcoholized Wine with Natural Flavour, chilled
- 2 cups (500 mL) 100% pomegranate juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) pulp-free orange juice
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) frozen pomegranate arils
- Bring sugar, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, nutmeg and 1 cup water to a boil in small saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring often, until sugar is dissolved; about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool 30 minutes. Refrigerate syrup until chilled; about 30 minutes.
- Stir together orange, lemon, 1 cup wine, pomegranate juice, orange juice and ¼ cup syrup in 3-L (12 cup) pitcher. Cover and refrigerate one hour or up to 12 hours.
- Stir in frozen pomegranate arils and remaining wine. Divide among wine glasses filled with ice.
Chef’s tip: You’ll make more of the spiced syrup than you need for one batch of this sangria. Refrigerate the remaining syrup in an airtight container or jar for up to one month and use in your favourite cocktails and mocktails, or as a dressing for fruit salad.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 100, fat 0 g, sodium 10 mg, carbohydrate 24 g, fibre 1 g, sugars 20 g, protein 1 g.
Post a comment